State competition being held at S.H.S.

SHS+G.I.+goes+through+their+routine+for+the+performance.+
SHS G.I. goes through their routine for the performance.

This spring, Sterling High School, for the first time in history, will be hosting the IHSA state drama competition March 22 and 23. 

Although Sterling High School has participated in this competition for years, including qualifying for state for group interpretation for 29 consecutive years, S.H.S. has never had the opportunity to host the event until this year. 

Group interpretation member Kaitlyn Moore said, “I am very pleased to show other schools the amazing auditorium and talented students we have! The theater department as a whole not only works diligently on our performances, but we also take much pride in the function and presentation of our auditorium.”

Students aren’t the only ones excited about hosting the state competition.

Principal Jason Austin said, “Being awarded the right to host the State Drama Championships is a great honor. To our knowledge we are the first school outside of the suburbs to host in quite some time. Our community takes great pride in Sterling High School’s facilities and rich history, now this opportunity will give us the chance to show off what makes Sterling High School so special.”

In order to host this competition, the district was required to apply and get an inspection of the schools involved to make sure it was suitable for all the spectators and had an appropriate auditorium in terms of size and layout. 

Organizing performance and rehearsal spaces is a major component of the competition as the district will host approximately 20-23 schools and their teams.

While performance spaces are a critical component, the competition could not go on without the custodial staff and volunteers who will assist over the two-day competition. S.H.S. is expecting around 3,000 spectators and Centennial Auditorium director Tim Schlegel said, “A number of volunteers to oversee the performance spaces, concessions, etc. are also needed.” This calls for many people to be present and lots of different jobs to fill. 

S.H.S. is closer and closer to being prepared but, with the influx of visitors, the town of Sterling itself has to prepare as well. The city has to cooperate with the local hotels and restaurants and let them know to expect an influx of people around this time so that everyone can be prepared and nobody gets shorted. 

Parking is also a great concern for the competition. With so many people, parking spaces must be maximized to accommodate the crowds. Although the performers will be on a bus, some fans and spectators will all be driving personal vehicles to the school. To prepare, Sterling Public Schools communicated with the residents around the school property and businesses like the dentist, hospital, and gas stations to inform them.

Although S.H.S. is hosting this event, the school is not in charge of the tournament as it is still an IHSA event and protocol must be followed. The school had to work with the state and make sure spaces are provided for the judges, staff, and event personnel.

Many recognize just how special it is that S.H.S. is hosting for the first time. 

Austin shared, “We want the entire State of Illinois to know how great Sterling High School and our community are. Hosting this event will allow us to do that and we look forward to the opportunity.”

$50
$500