Driving safely for winter

Knowing how to drive a car can be so helpful for getting to school, practice, and even going out with friends, but it is not always easy. Driving in the winter can be dangerous because there is ice everywhere on your car and the streets.

In the morning before you go to school or work, your windshield is going to be covered in snow or ice. Most drivers have ice scrapers and brushes in their cars to help them clear off snow and ice on their windshield and windows. These are useful during the winter, and cost less than ten dollars. 

Roads and highways are dangerous mostly because the roads are icy. Here are ways to prevent dangerous situations. 

Junior Mariela Gallardo said, “I usually wait until snow is cleared off and only drive on main roads because those are the ones cleared first.” Main roads are worked on first and are layered with salt so it doesn’t get too dangerous for drivers to get to school or work, but only go out if necessary.

In the winter you need to anticipate the ice even if it’s not visible. You should know your brakes, when you’re coming to a stop you should let off the gas way before you use your brakes. If you slam on your brakes the last couple feet you should know you’re not stopping and could cause a crash.

Senior Jose Castro shares tips of his own. Castro said, “In the morning before school I have the car warmed up, when driving to school I drive at a reasonable speed and even go under the speed limit depending on weather conditions.” 

Although there are only a couple months of winter left you should always make good decisions when driving especially at this time of year. You can always ask experienced drivers for more tips to make you a better driver or upcoming one.

$50
$500