Baseball gets back in full swing

Junior Drew Nettleton gets set to deliver a pitch on senior night.

The Sterling High School baseball program has begun their preparation for their upcoming season over the last month. Players and coaches meet every Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday for an hour and a half to sharpen their skills.

Junior Lincoln Davis said, “At these workouts, players hit, throw medicine balls, run, and also get some throws in.” 

Head Coach Darwin Nettleton also shared, “We have tee stations and soft toss stations that are working swing paths and swing timing. Players are completing various drills trying to organize their bodies to hit effectively. Players are also put through a variety of exercises ranging from the rope ladders, mini hurdles, box jumps, medicine ball slams, medicine ball throws, sprint exercises, and playing catch.

All levels attend these workouts. 

We have two groups based on grade – not by ability [9-10 and 11-12]. These groups allow coaches to take a quick head count and divide into the daily workout” Nettleton said. 

Upperclassmen may be used to the demands of baseball, but many freshmen are also quickly getting accustomed to the routine. Freshman have found this new type of training difficult but have quickly learned to adapt and have gotten used to it as the workouts continue. 

“The workouts are quite a bit tougher than what we did during youth baseball” freshman Cale Nettleton stated. 

Coaches spent their offseason trying to build a strong program for their team, something that can adequately prepare all levels for the season. The head coach said, “Honestly, the workouts have been the best since I have been the head coach.” 

Upperclassmen are eager for their season to start and know that the work they are putting in will be worth all of their effort.

Senior Garret Polson said, “These workouts allow you to see more game-like pitching than you would in traditional open gyms.” Junior Lincoln Davis also shared, “After a long fall season, it feels great to be back. I’m still getting into the hang of swinging a bat again; it’s been a while. That’s why these open gyms are perfect for the players and the coaches.

Expectations are high from players and coaches with the highest effort being required and if not given, one may see struggles during their season. 

“If players are not there, they are limiting their opportunities to get better. Players are not punished for not attending open gym, but players at open gym have a great advantage of passing teammates up,” Nettleton said. 

All in all, players are putting in that offseason grind to prepare for this upcoming season on all levels. Hopes and expectations are high for the growing Golden Warrior baseball program.

$75
$500