• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Travel club goes to Iowa

The S.H.S. travel club went on their second field trip of the school year. They traveled with club advisors Heather Johnson and Cami Hartman to visit Davenport, Iowa, to see the Bix Beiderbecke museum and partake in an escape room.

Johnson and Hartman decided to go to “the Bix Museum because it was free and because Bix is a music icon who is fairly local.” They also picked the escape room due to the high request and interest from travel club members. 

Senior Adriana Jenkins’ favorite part about the day was participating in “the escape room and being able to get to know people who I haven’t talked to before.” This was a common theme throughout the group where most everyone loved the escape room, especially since everyone was able to get out and escape before their time ran out. 

Junior Jamie Le has been a part of this club since her freshman year and enjoyed that “there were more interactions with other students in the escape room than any other part of previous trips.” In the past travel club trips, students don’t usually get to solve puzzles together, so having the escape room was a fun activity to change things up. 

Junior Da Vonte Heckman went on his first travel club field trip and loved it, he strongly “recommends if you are able to go on field trip with travel club, go because it’s a very fun experience.” Heckman hopes to be able to join the travel club in future events. 

Jenkins believes that the most difficult part of the escape room was “the fact that our calculator, which was crucial to escaping, was not working properly and we didn’t realize it wasn’t on purpose until time was almost up.” 

The advisors are planning their next trip for Feb. 17 down in Springfield, Ill., to further learn about Abraham Lincoln.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.