• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

December Students of the Month

December Students of the Month, seniors Avery VanOosten and Brecken Peterson.

Seniors at Sterling High School are given the option to apply for the one of the school’s greatest honors, Student of the Month. Students of the Month are two individuals that have academically challenged themselves, participated in extracurricular activities/athletics, displayed themselves as a natural leader, and displayed S.H.S. and their community in a positive light. Seniors Avery VanOosten and Brecken Peterson were awarded the distinguished title for December.

Within her high school career, Avery VanOosten has reached an outstanding grade point average of 4.195. While taking rigorous courses including AP Human Geography, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Psychology, and AP Calculus AB. She has also taken a multitude of accelerated and challenging classes.

In addition to her heavy course load, VanOosten dedicates her time to the school dance (poms) team. On the team, she is one of three co-captains. Also in dance, VanOosten manages her time as she is an assistant choreographer for elementary dance classes at Woodlawn Arts Academy. 

Following her high school career, VanOosten plans to go to a university and eventually become a nurse within the labor and delivery medical field. She has already taken steps to this plan, as she currently interns within CGH Medical Center as a nursing assistant. 

The other Student of the Month for December is Brecken Peterson. Peterson is a proud leader academically, holding a grade point average of 4.244. To achieve this goal, he partook in AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature and Composition, AP English Language and Composition, AP United States History, AP Psychology, AP U.S. Government and Politics, and AP Human Geography. Prior to the advanced placement courses, he completed accelerated classes within English, Math, and Science.

When not completing coursework, Peterson participates in many extracurricular activities including Young Doctor’s League, student council, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Honor Society, Key Club, cross country, basketball, and tennis. His dedication has given him leadership positions, such as being the Caption of the tennis team for his four years of high school.

Post-high school, Peterson hopes to attend a four year university to achieve his undergraduate degree in business administration.

These two dedicated individuals have taken major strides towards their future and will go on to accomplish great things after high school.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.