Girls track preps during preseason

With spring sport season quickly approaching, many members of the Golden Warriors girls track team are busy preparing for their events. Whether it’s lifting after school or participating in training camps at Westwood Fitness Center, this year’s track team is putting in hard work for Spring. 

The team started lifting after school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at the beginning of November. A variety of lifts are instructed to the team in order to build strength and speed. All team members are encouraged to show up to the lifts because preparing as a team is important for the season’s teamwork and bond. 

Head coach Tyler Gaumer shared that “the team had a tremendous amount of success last year and we are hoping to continue to build off that success.” 

Last season, the girls track team were Night Relays champions, third in the Western Big 6, and second at sectionals, sending many athletes to the IHSA State meet in various events. The girls track team hopes to continue their success throughout this season. 

With the graduation of many important team leaders, this year’s seniors have started preparation for how they will lead this year’s team. Seniors have discussed the importance of setting a good example and planning goals for the rest of the team. Stretches and warmups are led by the seniors, so they must prepare for teaching new members. 

Sophomore Alyssa Galloway has been working hard during the off season hoping “to have better times and longer jumps” and she explains how “[she’s] done a lot of work in the off season and [hopes] it shows.” 

Multiple girls have been training with the head coach of the boy’s track team, Kel Bond, during the off season at Westwood. 

With all of the work being put into this season, the S.H.S. girls track team expects great success to come in the spring.

$50
$500