• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Athletes transition from fall to winter

As the season changes so do the sports as the mostly outdoor activities transition to indoor. 

Many students are multi-student athletes. Some sports including cheerleading and poms both have a fall and winter season, unlike football or basketball, which are one season sports. 

Winter sports consist of boys and girls basketball, wrestling, cheer, poms, and more. 

As the football season comes to an end, many football players transition into playing basketball. With the differences in sports, the athletes have to train their bodies differently.

Junior Kaedon Phillips was one such athlete who had to prepare himself for the basketball season coming right out of football. Philips shared, “I had to make sure my body was right and [that I was] getting the right treatment from Andi.”

When it comes to cheer, many girls take this season as an off season. When students try out they tend to think ‘oh it’s just another cheer season’, but it consists of much more than the season before. 

When coming into this second season, there is another round of tryouts, there are many more games, much more traveling, and cheering. Not only that,cheering in winter is  a lot more pressure. The teams are smaller because you don’t have as much room. The cheerleaders cheer right in front of the student section.

Poms are also much different than the season before. During this winter season of poms, the poms team also has a competition team. Poms also performs a yearly guy/girl dance. This is when every girl on the poms team pairs up with a guy and they create a dance performance. They perform at halftime of the varsity basketball game.  

Winter sports also bring a bigger student section since many people do fall sports that when they aren’t in season. Students get excited to support their friends by coming to the games, cheering them on. 

Come out and cheer on your Golden Warriors as you have many opportunities with all the sports this winter. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.