• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Behind the scenes of “Radium Girls”

Lisandra Calderon
Senior Joshua Minor puts a microphone on junior Owen Gaffey. All leads use a microphone to project their voice throughout the entire auditorium.

“Radium Girls” had an amazing performance the last weekend of October. The leads put on an amazing show, but there were many different people working behind the scenes to make sure everything went smoothly.

Director Tim Schlegel and Assistant Director Ellen Johnson are responsible for casting people for certain roles and then helping them learn their roles. They lead rehearsals and are constantly finding ways for the cast to improve.

The tech crew runs all of the lights and technology involved with production. Kyle Morgan runs it with the help of senior Joshua Minor, juniors Kyle Hutchison and Connor Jagitsch, and sophomores Eve Bentowski and Phelix Cervantez. Minor reflects on previous plays and musicals, saying he’s “happy to meet” the new actors and “leave an impression on them so they can comfort into the rest of their high school career.”

The background characters also play a very important role in production. They help create a background for many scenes that require a larger group of people. Many times, they are the ones moving props during scene changes so that the leads are ready for their lines. 

The stage managers, junior Lisandra Calderon and sophomore Leila Anderson, are responsible for ensuring the cast is prepared for every scene. They might also fix any small issues happening backstage to ensure that everything runs successfully. Anderson “really enjoyed managing the fall play,” though it “was stressful at the beginning, but it ended up being a really rewarding experience.”

Costumes are rented, so they don’t always fit properly. Tori Duffin is in charge of fixing anything that might need adjusting, and making sure wardrobe malfunctions don’t happen. The lead, Avery Moran, “was given almost a dozen costume changes for this play”, but “Tori helped [her] sort through each one, and made sure [she] knew what [she] needed to be wearing each scene.” 

Working together, this group created a captivating production that left a lasting impression on the audience. Team effort and patience with one another is what brought the show to life.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.