• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

What is the best lunch choice?

SHS+students+wait+in+a+line+for+lunch.+Students+regularly+form+a+huge+line+for+nachos.+
Maddie Malooly
SHS students wait in a line for lunch. Students regularly form a huge line for nachos.

Opinions vary at S.H.S. as to what the best lunch options are. The lunch period at S.H.S. is half an hour, and students can choose between tacos, nachos, salads and deli items such as pizza, burgers, and daily specials. All lunches at S.H.S. mare subsidized so cost isn’t an object in the decision. So what is the best option?

After informally polling S.H.S. students, nachos have been voted the best option for lunch. They’re the preferred choice of 33% of respondents. 

Junior Braden Birdsley said, “It gives you the most food.”

And Junior Haedyn Stern stated, “Nachos are awesome.”

Unfortunately, the popularity of the nacho and taco bar leads to long lines which take up valuable lunchtime. Often, students are still getting their nachos and lunch is halfway over. 

Close seconds are pizza and burgers with 25% for each. The pizza station offers cheese, peperoni, and a featured flavor, while the Burger Bar offers custom condiments on your burger. 

Junior Kadielynn Nelson shared that “sometimes it’s nice to be able to add things to the burger rather than just have it plain. It also gives a better feel for being able to choose.” 

Senior Miles Nawrocki pointed out that pizza “is edible.” 

The preferred option is nachos. However there are other factors to consider: speed, dietary restrictions, and health. 

The fastest is the deli station you just grab and go. However most options aren’t vegetarian. One of the best options for vegetarians is cheese pizza, or for more protein nachos with beans. 

If a student is looking for veggies and protein the burger bar is your best option, giving protein via the burger patty and your choice of toppings. 

Nachos provide the biggest variability, however, the lines are long so hurry down to the lunch room if you’d like to try this option.  

Whatever you choose, remember to thank the lunch staff who work hard to provide students with all of these options. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.