Songs of the Fall

After this summer’s high temperatures and multiple heatwaves, fall was a breath of fresh air for everyone. What makes it a favorite season among many isn’t just simply because of the weather, but also the vibes that permeate the entire season year after year.

Music can create emotion and influence one’s mood, whether it is reflecting it or changing it. This reflection is perfectly exemplified by the description of a song that “screams fall” or brings back memories from the fall season within a person. Songs with a fall vibe, such as “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan, recommended by junior Madisyn Shepherd, are able to make you feel the cool breeze, smell the burning leaves, and taste the cider. Shepherd also reasons that this song fits the seasons due to the acoustic guitar, which are reminiscent of campfires.

In my opinion, “Season of the Witch” by Lana Del Ray song practically oozes fall, but let’s hear from some other SHS students.

Senior Olivia Leal recommended “The Spins” by Mac Miller, because of the “freeing feeling the song exudes.” Senior Dalila Rodriguez, with a complete genre shift from Leal’s response, recommends “We Fell In Love In October” by Girl in Red because “it’s in the title and fits the season.”

These seemingly opposite responses just show the diversity of fall songs, and how it all depends on one’s perception of the song and of the season. Music taste is subjective, and not everyone will agree that these songs ‘scream fall’, but it is guaranteed that every student has a song that immediately transports them back to the season and the memories that accompany it. 

Regardless of the experiences that fall brings you back to, whether it be in nature, celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, or a birthday, it is a season that is unique to everyone, which in my opinion, is most shown in the range of fall songs.

$50
$500