Internship class expands its offerings

In the 2023-2024 school year, S.H.S. has expanded its internship offerings. Internships are professional learning experiences that offer meaningful and practical work related to a student’s field of study or career interest.

These new offerings consist of United Electric, JJM, and B’Lush Salon. There  are also many offerings connected with Sauk and CGH that are new, like Sauk Valley Aviation, Ward-Murray-Pace-Johnson (an attorney office), Astec, Advanced Animal Vet Clinic, Open Sesame Daycare, Centennial Auditorium, CGH Medical Center, and Sauk Valley Bank. These new expanded offerings may help students become more familiar with the career they are interested in.

Internship coordinator Rebecca Koerner is a big reason why these expanded offerings came to S.H.S. 

Koerner shared, “We have a variety of different career pathways that the students are interested in compared to last year.  The community businesses are very eager to allow students into their day to day activities.”

These changes are different from last year because businesses have remodeled and revamped some experiences for the students, so that they are more engaged in the activities they are given.

Koerner also said that these offerings “could give the students another reference person to put on an application. The students learn many essential skills during the year that will help them in the future no matter what career they pursue.”

The offerings students have are very important to connect with their futures. Senior student Carter Chance says that “these impact students by showing their interests in their internship.”

The internship expanded offerings are important because the more that schools can connect with businesses, the more students can take the class that suits their interests. 

Senior Kirsten Workman says this is important so “students are able to see a larger variety of job possibilities.”

Internship has added lots of new and renewed offerings to benefit students on their future plans. 

$50
$500