• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Differences in art classes

Art+teacher+Stuart+Roddy+presents+an+example+of+the+pieces+2D+Art+2+are+currently+working+on.+Students+are+completing+their+pieces+by+adding+watercolor.+
Anna Aulwes
Art teacher Stuart Roddy presents an example of the pieces 2D Art 2 are currently working on. Students are completing their pieces by adding watercolor.

Sterling High School (SHS) offers a wide variety of art and tech zone classes for all students. While many students are interested in taking the assorted classes, a lot of people aren’t aware of the differences of the classes available. 

Art teachers Joie Roddy and Stuart Roddy take on the tasks of teaching 2D, 3D, Advanced Placement (AP), and Tech Zone classes. A majority of the visual art classes take place on the second floor of SHS, and the tech zone classes take place on the first floor.

J. Roddy and S. Roddy both teach 2D art, which includes 2D Art 1, 2D Art 2, and 2D Art 3. 2D Art 1 covers the basics of pencil, pen and ink, paint, and other media. Students learn perspective, sketching, and the fundamentals of 2D art.

2D Art 2 and 3 become more advanced as students become more comfortable with the skills learned in prerequisite classes. Projects such as charcoal portraits, watercolor paintings, and pen and ink still lifes are carried out by students. 

3D Art 1 and 2 are taught by J. Roddy. Students learn how to form clay mugs, pots, boxes, and more through hand building and wheel throwing. After firing, students glaze their creations, which acts as a paint for the ceramic. 

Junior Finley Ryan took both 3D classes her sophomore year. Ryan took the courses because she “loves to be creative” and, “it’s not stressful, but fun with a lot of flexibility.” Students get to keep their creations once they are completed.

S. Roddy teaches in the tech zone as well. Senior Makaylee Pipes is currently taking graphic design, and has also taken Tech Zone, Media Arts, Digital Drawing, 2D Drawing 1, and 2D Drawing 2. Pipes highly recommends these classes and shares that “with these classes you will learn how to hone in on your skills and find a media that works best for you.”

AP Art is a class where students choose a theme and create pieces for their college portfolio. Senior Josey Hagerman’s theme is “How can I explore my creativity while still expressing emotions?” where she is discovering ways to be creative, while having a conversation about her pieces. Hagerman shares that the courses “will take up a good chunk of your time but if you’re really interested in art I would totally suggest it.”

With the wide variety of art classes available at SHS, students should be able to find a class that fits them and their interests. Visual and digital art courses are an easy way to insert fun and creativity into your school schedule.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.