New Director, Old Band

In previous years, band director Erik Oberg led the Challand Middle School Band and the Sterling High School Orchestra while Brendon O’Donnell led the SHS Band. This year, Mr. Oberg was moved from CMS Band Director to his new current position as director of the SHS band. With Mr. Oberg moving over, there were many changes to come to the band.

Senior Josey Hagerman said that she liked both directors and both tried their best, and that’s all she asked for. She says that while “Mr. O’Donnell was always energetic and playful, Mr. Oberg is passionate and caring,” and she loves them both for each of their traits. She says they each tried their best to make a safe environment for their students and allow passionate students to express themselves freely.

Senior Alejandra Calderon said, “Mr. Oberg has a different approach to organization with the band. While Mr. O’Donnell focused on the band as a whole, Mr. Oberg likes to focus on each section making sure the sound of each is good and prefers to give the students more control by letting the drum majors lead.”

Since Oberg previously taught every member of the high school band, students felt there was not the usual stress that comes with transitioning to a new teacher as they were used to Oberg’s style of teaching and conducting. Oberg also shared these same feelings, adding that he “doesn’t feel like it’s a challenge due to my college background and since I knew the kids.”

Oberg shared that he was mostly finishing what O’Donnell started. He mostly worked on “tidying up loose ends and getting everyone focused, which was easy to do since everyone was eager to do so.” 

While this experience could be overwhelming, he shared that he was “having the greatest time of his life getting to see everyone again, especially since they were such a fun group to work with.”

Students, along with Oberg, are excited to see what this year will bring to the band and entertainment aspect of SHS.

$50
$500