• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

AP Art Students find inspiration

This+an+example+for+AP+Art+projects+in+the+past.+
This an example for AP Art projects in the past.

The SHS Advanced Placement (AP) Art class is facing big decisions. They’re picking out themes for the 15 pieces they will focus on for the rest of the year. 

The students will submit their 15 pieces to the College Board to be scored, thus making this project their AP test which determines whether they get college credit or not. Through these questions and receiving the answers, all those interviewed expressed only excitement about the challenging process of finding inspiration. 

Senior Isabella Espinoza is currently choosing her project based on her theme of insecurity. She expressed that her goal was picking a theme most people could relate to and understand deeply. 

Espinoza said, “I was thinking of drawing someone with hands coming out of their abdomen, representing their true self fighting to come out despite the person’s denial of it.” 

Junior Greenlee Castillo is working based on her theme of realizing the selfishness in her mind and how it blocks out the truth of the world around her through her life. 

Castillo stated, “I actually didn’t have any other ideas. I knew exactly what I wanted to draw the moment we were told our assignment.”

When asked what we should know about AP Art, Espinoza said AP Art is “fun. If you really enjoy art, definitely join it. You’re able to pick out the pieces and materials you want to use, lots of freedom.”

Castillo shared, “It’s really fun especially if you’re really creative and looking for a challenge.”

Every student that was asked highly recommended AP Art to prospective students. They acknowledge the challenge but more so the excitement. The class provides students an opportunity to express the importance of something they feel strongly about, while developing their technical skills as an artist, as well as emotional skills as people.  

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.