Senior athletes celebrate senior night

Senior+Olivia+Melcher+walks+out+for+senior+night.+The+girls+volleyball+team+won+comfortably+against+Alleman.+
Senior Olivia Melcher walks out for senior night. The girls volleyball team won comfortably against Alleman.

As the fall sports season gets up and running, seniors are honored with a senior night. In the past, senior night was always held towards the end of the season, but it was moved to the beginning of the season last year. Despite the change, the idea of honoring such hard work has still remained the same.

Athletic Director Tyler Jakse said, “Senior night is moved earlier in the year for most sports to make sure that if there is a postponed or canceled game that we have an opportunity to recognize the dedication our seniors have made.”

Each sport honors its seniors differently, and it is up to the team to ensure that the night is a success.

Sophomore soccer player Ian Hilty said that the team’s goals for senior night are to “first, ensure that each senior feels cared for and part of the team, and secondly, to try our hardest to win the game.” 

The soccer team lost the game 1-4  to Alleman. However, most players played extremely well and the team was able to end the game with many positives and lessons to take away.

Many teams add their own twist to the special night. Poms coach Jennifer Thueson said, “Each senior is responsible for choosing a song and creating the choreography for that section of the dance. They also have the opportunity to showcase some of their unique skills in their choreography.”

Poms performed during halftime in the Sterling vs. Galesburg football game. Each senior performed a mini-solo within their routine. The girls danced amazingly and did not disappoint the large crowd. 

The Cheerleading team also gives their seniors the spotlight. Senior cheerleader Hailey Bielema said “Being a senior on senior night consists of being more of the center of attention because seniors normally do not fly stunts into the air which can sometimes be challenging.”

The cheerleaders also displayed their routine in the Sterling vs. Galesburg game. They entertained the audience throughout the game and tried out some new cheers, which left the crowd even more excited.

Junior tennis player Ellie Aitken said, “The goal for senior night is to make sure the seniors have fun on their special night. We want them and the rest of the team to have fun and honor our seniors.”

The team lost 1-4, but the games were very close. Aitken lost in a tiebreaker while senior Layla Tablante won 10-8 in hers.

Sophomore swimmer Macie Lofgren said, “A goal for senior night was to overall win the meet because of our undefeated dual meet status this year and to make the seniors feel appreciated.”

The girls went and crushed Moline 130-42 and held their undefeated record for the season. 

Boys cross country honored five seniors during their senior night. Senior Dale Johnson said that “we make sure we are in top shape before the meet.”

The boys ran against Moline and obliterated them 15-50, with the top five finishers all from Sterling.

Sophomore cross country runner Laney Zuithoff said that “the underclassmen make the seniors gifts and give them to them on senior night.”

The girls also ran against Moline and won fairly easily on their senior night.

The volleyball team divides out jobs for their members. Volleyball coach Alexis Ruiz explains that “all of [their] other teams each have a job for senior night. The freshmen team is in charge of decorating the locker room, the sophomore team is in charge of decorating the gym, & the juniors are in charge of getting the seniors gifts!”

The volleyball team beat Alleman in two sets and the seniors were able to enjoy their victory. 

Boys Golf had a successive senior night as well. Senior golfer Joshua Greenfield said that the seniors “take lots of pictures, talk with other seniors about the journey [they] had, and have fun.”

The boys were able to win against Rock Falls at the Emerald Hill Golf course. The team won 165-184.

Finally, the boys football team also enjoyed a comfortable win. Senior football player Lucas Austin said, “Our goals were to win by a lot and get all of our seniors involved.”  

The team went and did exactly that. The team demolished Galesburg 45-14 and most players were able to enjoy playing time.

Senior time is a night of reflection and honor. Seniors look back at their freshman selves and see how much they have grown. Though it is sometimes hard to accept that a senior has already almost completed their high school career, the night serves as one final reminder for their accomplishments and commitment. 

$50
$500