Behind the scenes with S.H.S. Trainers

Senior+Gavin+Church+gets+taped+by+trainer+Andi+Sumerfelt+before+a+game.+Trainers+attend+each+football+game+and+assist+players+before+and+during+the+game.+
Senior Gavin Church gets taped by trainer Andi Sumerfelt before a game. Trainers attend each football game and assist players before and during the game.

Throughout the nation, high schools are in need of athletic trainers. Here at S.H.S., we are fortunate to have head trainer Andi Sumerfelt. Sumerfelt has been dedicated to S.H.S. athletics for many years and has done a great service for all S.H.S. athletes.

Over the years, more and more athletes have started using the training room and Sumerfelt to recover from any injuries they have sustained in their sport, leading to the Trainer Assistant Program starting. The training room is an area that has almost everything Sumerfelt needs, from tape to the large ice baths athletes use to recover. 

The Trainer Assistant Program is when students at S.H.S. can apply to help Sumerfelt with all the athletes she has to take care of. 

Sumerfelt said, “There is an application that students need to fill out to become an athletic trainer student aide. Once students are accepted, they  must become certified in CPR/AED.” 

She also added that “Student aides must be able attend practice three days per week minimum. Students track their time into a spreadsheet and once they have met all of the criteria, they can letter in athletic training.” So this is definitely not an extra curricular for the light hearted. 

These assistants are meant to help Sumerfelt do simple tasks like help athletes recover while also learning very important skills like how to evaluate an athlete after an injury. 

“I have learned many of the important things that are needed to help athletes recover with tools such as doing ultrasounds, hooking up people to stim and GameReady, and becoming certified in CPR,” said junior assistant Victoria Nguyen. 

Nguyen’s inspiration for the training program came from someone within her family. Nguyen said, “My older brother Vincent, who graduated last year, suggested it to me and I thought it would be a great opportunity to start something new.” 

Sumerfelt and her assistants are beyond important to SHS athletics.

“I think trainers are really important. They help to keep athletes healthy and in the best shape possible during competitive sports.” said junior Cole Stumpenhorst. “Andi is very valuable to the football program because of what she provides for athletes. Her recovery equipment and techniques allow for our athletes to recover from nagging injuries as quickly as possible to allow for them to either stay on the field or get back to playing as quickly as possible.” said teacher and offensive line coach Issac Kinnicutt. 

Almost everyday before practice Stumpenhorst, as well as many football, volleyball, soccer and many other fall sport athletes, go into the training room and get taped, rehab injuries or soreness, and get evaluated for possible injuries. “Football is a physical sport and if athletes can use her and recovery equipment and methods to stay on the field, it provides a huge benefit to them and the program.” Kinnicutt said.

Stumpenhorst said “I utilize our trainers at SHS especially when I’m feeling sore or possibly hurt.” 

Andi Sumerfelt and her assistants have dedicated themselves to make sure every athlete is taken care of and is ready to compete in their respective sport. They’re dedication is not taken for granted and they are greatly appreciated.

$50
$500