Entertainment Review: “The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We”

American singer-songwriter Mitski released her seventh studio album, “The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We” on September 15 of this year. The album was highly anticipated, with her song “Star” gaining a lot of attention from her fans. 

Mitski is known for her ability to tie lyricism and instrumentals in a way that evokes emotion and can be interpreted in many different ways. Each of her studio albums has had a slightly different sound, her newest being the least like her typical music. It is referred to as country and contemporary folk, while her other albums are more on the alternative side. 

Most of the songs are acoustic and include choral elements, which threw me off a bit but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Instead of focusing as much on the instrumentals, her voice is the star of this album. 

There were a few songs that stood out to me on this album; “I’m Your Man,” “Buffalo Replaced,”  “The Deal,” and “My Love Mine All Mine.” These were my favorite because they reminded me most of her older music, but a little toned down. “I’m Your Man” had the biggest impact on me; the tone of her voice, the lyrics, and the dogs barking in the instrumental get her desperation across. 

“My Love Mine All Mine” gained a lot of attention on TikTok after it was released, just as “Be The Cowboy” had many trending songs. It’s annoying to see only one song get recognized, but at least more people are being exposed to her art. 

Though this album isn’t her best one in my opinion, she always creates amazing music and it is worth listening to. If you’re more into alternative/punk then I would recommend my favorite albums by her; “Puberty 2” and “Lush.” 

Mitski is guaranteed to have at least one song that everyone would enjoy due to her not being defined by just one genre.

$50
$500