Entertainment Review: Hozier Unreal Unearth Tour

Irish singer-songwriter Hozier kicked off his “Unreal Unearth” tour on September 9 in St. Louis. I was lucky enough to attend his Chicago show, which was truly unreal, living up to the tour’s name. To make it even more special, he performed “To Someone From A Warm Climate (Uiscefhuaraithe)” for the first time live. 

To give context, Uiscefhuaraithe, he described, can be roughly translated to “the cooling action of water” or “the very specific knowledge that when you pick up a rock from a river, you know it is cold because of the water.” This word that was previously unknown to him, even though it is from his very own Irish language, inspired him to create a song out of it. 

The album was loosely inspired by the classic “Dante’s Inferno,” which originates back to the first century and has inspired many films, albums, and other creative works. 

Hozier first gained popularity from his debut song “Take Me To Church,” released September 2013. The hit song was recorded in his parents attic in the town of Wicklow, which he still calls home.

Throughout the tour so far he’s been interacting with fans often, performing surprise performances in all types of places for free. So far, he’s surprised fans at the Brighton Pride Parade, Glastonbury Music Festival, Boygenius’ concert in Fenway Park, and many more. This dedication to music, art, and expression is one of the reasons he has such a devoted fanbase. With his visual works, genuine interviews, and most importantly beautiful music with inspiring lyricism, he has brought together lovers of art across the world. 

This tour has frequently been described by viewers as a spiritual experience and I would have to agree. The connection he is able to manifest with his music between the crowd and himself is truly awe-inspiring. Out of all the shows I have been lucky enough to attend, I can confirm this is definitely one of the best, and for all those who are unfamiliar with his music I highly recommend giving it a chance.

$50
$500