Volleyball starts fresh for 2023

Throughout the past couple years, it is fair to say that Sterling’s varsity volleyball team has been through some rough patches. From dealing with the effects of COVID to losing strong talent due to injury, the past few seasons have not gone as expected. This year is looking to be a little different though. 

Conditioning and training starting in the summer which added a lot of growth and depth into the team. We all grew into the new roles we have, we got better at serving and worked together as a team a lot.  Even though at times all of the conditioning and hard work, we all got through it and it made us better. The three-hour practices were a big game changer, but gave us a lot of time to work as a team and get better individually.

Looking at the new lineup this year is a new sight. With eight seniors graduating last year, the team had many positions to fill. Many juniors stepped up, and the 2024 seniors also stepped up to fill their shoes. The girls are getting along great by working through the rough patches and bonding. 

As the team worked up to the first game, we had many nerves. Starting off the season against Dixon was an eye opener, as we proceeded to win both sets, the feeling was new. We felt as if we all played like a team. In previous years, the team chemistry didn’t feel right.Girls did not bond well, many did not get along.  l This time it’s a new feeling.

Captain Delali Amankwa said, “As the season goes on and we start to get into more conference games, competition will definitely get harder. If we stay gritty and play together like we did the first few games I think we can definitely do good things. This team plays together and works hard. I think we can be a pretty successful team if we stay on top of it.” 

We enjoy supporting each other on the court and on the bench. Team dinners have been playing a big role in bonding this year. We have added in a lot more fun activities on the schedule this year, including those team dinners and dress up days on Wednesdays. The dress up days add some fun into all the seriousness.  

Even though the season is fairly new, it seems like everyone is getting along better and building new relationships. 

$50
$500