S.H.S. hosts Friday Night Relays

Recently, Sterling hosted the 71st Night Relays track meet. Sterling High School first hosted this meet in 1950. Due to COVID protocols, two of the recent meets were canceled. In past years, girls were not allowed to compete with the boys in the night relays. There was a girls night relay made and eventually that was removed and girls and boys now compete in Sterling’s Night Relays. 

This year, Sterling’s girls team took first place for the second year in a row and boys finished in second place. 

Individually, Sterling was also successful. In the mile, junior Dale Johnson took first with a time of 4:22.42, followed by senior Thomas Holcomb in third at 4:38.72. In the 300m hurdles, freshman Anessa Johnson got second with a time of 49.86. In the 4×100 varsity relay, the boys team consists of senior Dylan Doss, sophomore Joseph Holcomb, senior Kael Ryan, and junior Cale Ledergerber, finishing a close race against Galesburg by .07 seconds and taking first. 

The girls 4×100 team consisted of senior Alice Sotelo, senior Kaydence Weeks, junior Anna Aulwes, and sophomore Taah Liberty, and they went on to take second with a time of 50.40. In the 4×200 varsity relay the boys team (Ledergerber, Holcomb, Doss, and Ryan) took first again with another close race with a time of 1:29.27. The girls 4×200 team (Sotelo, Weeks, Aulwes, and freshman Alivia Gibson) took second again with a time of 1:47.89.

Onto the 4×400 varsity relay, the boys team (Ryan, junior Jordan Britt, Doss, and T. Holcomb) took third with a time of 3:28.70. Girls team (Junior Rhylee Wade, Weeks, Sotelo, and Liberty) took third also with a time of 4:21.68. For the final relay, the 4×800 boys team (T. Holcomb, Britt, junior Owen Anderson, D. Johnson) finished first with the time being 7:53.13. The girls 4×400 team of (Wade, sophomore Connie Ibarra, freshman Delia Block, senior Kylie Nicklaus) finished with a time of 10:12.24. In the 4×100 shuttle hurdles, the girls team (Aulwes, freshman Abby Ryan, A. Johnson, sophomore Addison Robbins) finished first with a time of 1:10.02. 

In the field events starting with shot put, senior Kate Rowzee took first by throwing 11.12m. In discus Rowzee also did well taking second by throwing 35.67m. In high jump for the boys, senior Andrew Bland took third with 1.78m. Also for the boys in pole vault senior Brandeis Shore tied for second with 3.51m. With triple jump being the last event, Sotelo took first by jumping 11.22m. 

Overall, Friday Night Relays was a successful meet for all of the track athletes and much-loved tradition at S.H.S.