March Student of the Month

Seniors James Morris and Lauren Jacobs

Student of the Month (SOTM) is the topmost level of honor for seniors at Sterling High School. Students who have received this award test themselves beyond their abilities by taking meticulous courses, are involved in extracurricular activities, have shown leadership with their school and community, and represent S.H.S. positively. The two seniors that exemplified this award for the month of March are James Morris and Lauren Jacobs. 

Morris has taken numerous AP courses during his time at S.H.S. while also achieving a GPA of 4.07. The courses he has taken include AP Human Geography, AP United States History, AP Language and Composition, and AP Psychology. Even while taking these courses he presents a leadership role in the National Honor Society program (NHS). S.H.S. has given Morris the recognition he has earned by awarding his knowledge and abilities. He has received an honor roll award his junior and senior year of high school, and was awarded the Rotary Scholar.

Outside of school, Morris is involved in activities like football, basketball, wrestling, tennis, FFA, and Publications. Morris obtained his varsity letters his senior year along with earning an Academic All-Conference award for the Western Big Six All-Academic Football Team. Morris has been an officer for Sterling’s FFA for three years; he achieved his Greenhand, obtained a Chapter FFA Degree, and won the FFA Section Competition for Carpentry.

Morris volunteers for Sergeant Mike Kuehl at the Illinois Police Station. This experience gives him so much opportunity for his future plans to attend University of Illinois, where he plans to commission through the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC). After Morris graduates UOI, he will become an Officer in the United States Marine Corps. 

The second senior elected SOTM for March is Jacobs. Due to her wholeheartedness and ability to take on responsibility, Jacobs withholds an outstanding GPA of 4.162. She has taken seven accelerated courses as well as AP Human Geography, AP Language and Composition, AP Chemistry, AP United States History, and is currently taking AP Biology and AP Literature and Composition. Jacobs earned Honor Roll honors all four years of high school and was awarded the Rotary Scholar. 

Jacobs works at the Duis Recreation Center as a gymnastics coach and when she’s not working she plays on a travel softball team from the Quad Cities. Jacobs shows leadership capability as she has been softball team captain her junior and senior years at S.H.S. During her sophomore year, the team won third at state, and during her junior year, they won regionals. She earned Second Team All-Conference honors during her junior year as well.

Jacobs has committed to the University of Dubuque, while attending the university she will major in chemistry and minor in biology. After college she wants to pursue a career as a forensic pathologist or become a softball coach.

These two raise the expectations and exemplify Sterling High School, and they will go on to achieve extraordinary things.