S.H.S. Early Childhood Education visits Sauk

After their first semester field trip to Illinois State University, Early Childhood Education students are planning to venture to Sauk Valley Community College. ECE students will attend Sauk’s Education Symposium on April 21 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

The Ed Pathways Education Symposium provides high school students a chance to meet with area administrators. Students have the opportunity to practice their interview skills, learn about additional careers in the field of education, and celebrate what it means to become an educator. 

This event is open to high school students from Lee, Ogle, and Whiteside county who are interested in a career in education. This year will be the second year of the Education Symposium. 

Carmen Ayala was the featured speaker at the first symposium. Ayala was formerly the superintendent for the Illinois State Board of Education; she retired in February. 

This year’s main speaker is Lindsey Jenson. Jenson spoke at the ISU Future Teacher Conference that ECE students attended during the first semester. Jenson was named teacher of the year in 2018. 

A portion of this year’s event will be mock interviews for the students to participate in. The students will be interviewed by other school administrators. ECE teacher Heather Johnson says, “I am very excited about this event, and this time I know what to expect, because I’ll be warning my kids about the mock interviews!” 

In addition to the mock interviews and speakers, there will be a miniature college fair. The college fair will be composed of representatives from various Illinois colleges. This provides students with the opportunity to learn more about education programs at different colleges. 

This year’s Education Symposium will be a great learning experience, as it was the year before. Former ECE student, senior Emma Trader says, “My favorite memory from the Sauk field trip was when I got to speak with America’s teacher of the year.” 

This field trip will provide Sterling High School ECE students with the opportunity to learn more about their future careers in education, and commemorate the profession.