S.H.S. hosts blood drive

Three times a year, Sterling High School’s Student Council sponsors a blood drive with the American Red Cross. It’s typically hosted in September, February, and April. The next one is on February 22, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Musgrove Fieldhouse. 

In order to sign up you have to be 16+, but if you are 16 you must have a permission slip filled out in order to be eligible to donate blood. You contact student council advisors Nicole Schlemmer or Alexis Ruiz to sign up through their emails. 

The blood drive is not just open to students; family, friends, and other members of the community are encouraged to donate as well. Appointments are highly encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. 

An appointment can be made by calling the high school, calling 1-800-Red Cross, or visiting RedCrossBlood.org. If you want to save time, you can visit RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass to get a RapidPass and save up to 15 minutes.

Schlemmer shares, “It allows for students and the community the opportunity to help others and potentially save lives!” 

There are several slots every 15 minutes from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., which gives the opportunity for about 70 potential people to donate. Schlemmer said there are around 50 people who donate on average each time. One pint of blood can save up to three lives, so if fifty people donate around 150 lives are able to be saved. 

As of right now, there’s a current shortage of blood because of lack of national donations. The Red Cross posted an article mentioning that the recent decline in blood donations may soon make it tough to keep blood products stocked on hospital shelves.

Schlemmer and Ruiz have been running the blood drive since they took over Student Council two years ago. Although, the blood drive has been going on since 2005.

S.H.S. and the Red Cross are offering a $10 Amazon gift card when you donate blood, and it also automatically enters you in a drawing for a chance to win a trip for two to Clearwater Beach, Florida. The drawing includes travel, hotel, gift card expenses and more!