S.H.S. offers dual-enrollment courses

Dual-Enrolled students work on their first assignment in class. This is the first year S.H.S. has offered this course.

At Sterling High School students have access to multiple dual enrollment courses. Dual enrollment refers to students being enrolled concurrently in two distinct academic programs or advanced classes. 

College Algebra is one of the dual enrollment courses offered here at S.H.S. This College Algebra course requires students to be a junior or a senior who have successfully completed Algebra 2. 

Topics covered in this course are college level. You will learn some new topics such as, zeros of polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, sequences, and the binomial theorem.

Another dual enrolled math class offered at S.H.S. is Dual Enrolled Trigonometry. This class requires you to be a junior or a senior with a C or higher grade in math. 

This course consists of a survey of trigonometry and its applications. Topics include a review of prerequisite topics, and trigonometric identities and equations. 

“In dual enrolled trigonometry, it’s definitely a completely different environment compared to any other math class. I took this class because I needed a challenge, and that’s what this class is giving me,” said senior Addisyn Boyle

S.H.S. students also have access to a new dual enrollment course, which is a multi-craft class. This course consists of learning about electricity circuits, Heating and Cooling, Welding, and at the very end of the electrical portion of the course students will learn to do trigonometry. This course lasts the whole school year and gives two credits. Senior Ben Boze, a current student in this class, said, “The labs we do in this class are very involving and entertaining.” 

S.H.S. counselor Christime Herron said, “Taking dual enrollment courses can benefit you by allowing you to explore a field of study that you would like to major in before college. This will also help you save money on a college course and earn you a college credit.” 

Students who are interested in taking dual enrollment courses in the future should direct all questions to their counselors.